Rectifier Meaning : What is rectifier
A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction, to direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction. The reverse operation is performed by the inverter.
Different Kinds of Rectifier
There are three kinds of Rectifier.
1. Single-phase rectifiers
2. Three-phase rectifiers
3. Voltage-multiplying rectifiers
Single-phase rectifiers are two types :
1. Half-wave rectification
2. Full-wave rectification
Three-phase rectifiers are 5 types :
- Three-phase, half-wave circuit
- Three-phase, full-wave circuit using center-tapped transformer
- Three-phase bridge rectifier uncontrolled
- Three-phase bridge rectifier controlled
- Twelve-pulse bridge
Advantages of Full Wave Rectifier :
• The ripple frequency is two times the input frequency.
• Efficiency is higher.
• The large DC power output.
• Ripple factor is less.
• The ripple voltage is low and the higher frequency in
case full-wave rectifier so simple filtering circuit is required.
• Higher output voltage.
• Higher transformer utilization factor.
• Utilizes both halves of the AC waveform.
• Easier to provide smoothing as a result of using the
Disadvantages of Full Wave Rectifier :
•More complected than half-wave rectifier.
• It requires more diodes, two for center tap rectifier and four
for bridge rectifier.
• PIV rating of the diode is higher.
• Higher PIV diodes are larger in size and too much costlier.
• The cost of the center tap transformer is high.
• The twice frequency hum on an audio circuit maybe it is
• This rectifier is difficult to locate the center tap on the
• The DC output is small as using each of diode utilized only
one-half of the transformer secondary voltages.
• When a small voltage is required to be rectified, the full-
wave rectifier circuit is not suitable.
Where rectifier is used :
Rectifiers are used inside the power supplies of virtually all electronic equipment. AC/DC power supplies may be broadly divided into linear power supplies and switched-mode power supplies.
Frequently Asked Questions About Rectifier and Rectifier Meaning
What is Rectifier used for?
A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction, to direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction. The reverse operation is performed by the inverter. Used in all electronic equipment.
Which type of rectifier is mostly used and why?
There are two types of rectifier, they are
a) Half Wave Rectifier
b) Full Wave Rectifier
Rectifier is used in All electronic equipment, specially in power supply of dc power.
What are the three types of rectifier?
a) Single-phase rectifiers
b) Three-phase rectifiers
c) Voltage-multiplying rectifiers